Tuesday, October 26, 2010

My raft in the Grand '08

This is my 16ft Hyside self-bailer with a removable floor. This model was the last year they made the lace in floor. Now all floors are permanent. The concept of the lace in floor was if you happen to have a rip in the bottom which required you to send it in for repair you could send the floor only back and not the entire raft. I think it was just too expensive to do it this way and now they glue them all in. I think the glue in floors have less drag also.

I have a cargo floor in the rear compartment which is attached to the five smaller D-rings which I added inside the back compartment. I also added one more set of large D-rings to hold my frame and five large D-rings in the front of the boat (sometimes it is nice to have the ability to put more dunnage (bags of passengers) up front or just switch the two compartments where the passengers can ride in the back. I also added five large D-rings to the back of the boat which allows me to strap the dunnage with either a cover or straps.

The frame has 3 compartments. The compartment under my seat is where I put my kitchen but I could put my dry box there as the bars are adjustable. I believe my kitchen box (you can see the kitchen box (and a picture of the kitchen one one of our trips) in the river kitchen post. The kitchen box comes up to camp every evening/afternoon.

That is my $230 rowing chair on which I am sitting.

In the compartment right in front of me I have a cooler which is accessible during the day with minimal effort. It is covered by a cooler cover which I wet for evaporation cooling on long hot trips. The cooler stays on the boat the entire trip. I also have a cooler cover inside to help with ice retention and it has pockets for things like snacks/chocolates. The capacity of this cooler is 160 quarts.

The front compartment containes my dry box which I store some personal gear along with my stoves and dry good such as bread, canned vegetables, chips etc.

I have three water jugs strapped on the frame and two rocket boxes. I have a wooden floor out of has marine plywood and finished in marine paint which I strap 6 ammo boxes (these are the small boxes about 8" deep and 6" wide and about 12' long). I have an ammo box for a first aid kit, one for my repair kit and one for things like maps, notebook, etc.. The other two are for my personal gear such as sunglasses, sunscreen, etc. and one has snacks etc. The last one is for a day groover which we are to take on all hikes. I allow each passenger one ammo box for their daily personal gear and two dry bags (one large one medium) and a small day bag for warm clothes etc which we strap on last so that it is accessible during the day.

I have the required two spare oars which you can see are strapped to the side of the boat with quick release buckles. I have a throw cushion on my seat (I personally think it is one of the dumbest requirements of the NPS... but who am I). and I have a throw rope on the frame next to my seat. Ihave a bow line and a stern line which are both very long both almost 100 ft. You also can see two camp tables with legs which extend to working height. I also have a rollup table which comes out for lunch. I don't like the concept of eating on the boats unless you prepare the lunch (things like wraps and sandwiches) in advance and even then it is nice to have something to set the goodies on.

In the picture (taken by Holly) I am at the helm and Jason Kayne is sitting on the dry box. My boat hold myself and two passengers comfortable but I have had up to three passengers.

So that is my boat and I hope you enjoy reading such posts.

Mikep

No comments:

Post a Comment